When we hear the word Mexico, there are many things that pop in to our minds. Chilli is probably the first one we mention, followed by tequila, Margaritas, Mariachi,tacos and definitely Speedy Gonzalez.
Some people with a deeper cultural knowledge will mention the Aztecs, teotihuacan, the Mole sauce and Chespirito. Anyhow, Mexico is a culture that has many hidden, bizarre and curious facts within its history, indigenous background, legendary heritage and amazing cuisine.
Here are some of the most interesting fun facts about Mexico that we could find:
2. The word Mexico means ” moon’s belly button”, from the Náhuat “Metztli” (luna/moon) and “xictli” (belly button).
3. On November 2010 Mexican cuisine was added by UNESCO to its lists of the world’s “intangible cultural heritage”
4. Mexico is the country with the largest number of taxis: 60.000
5. Mexico city has the largest number of museums in the world.
6.Mexico has the world’s smallest volcano. The Cuexcomate, in the city of Puebla, is only… 43 feet tall!. It is considered to be inactive now, and it has a spiral staircase inside, just for tourists.
7. A Mexican tamale called the zacahuil is three feet long and weighs about 150 pounds.
8. If you stand by the pyramid Chichen Itza you will hear a bird singing.
9.The name “tomato” derives its etymology from the sacred Aztec language
10. The caesar salad was first created by Caesar Cardini in Tijuana, Mexico
Hope you enjoyed it!
Pretty intereseting right?